My latest project involved a door from an aunt’s old house. I really like how it turned out so I thought I’d share with you.
Here is the door before I started. Lots of paint and a few unsecured boards/trim.
Hubby helped by sanding down the boards for me. It was so much easier than trying to strip off three layers of paint. Plus, I didn’t want all the paint off.
I did have to strip some parts of the door. The trim inside the panels were hard to sand so I sprayed paint remover on them to help. I also sprayed paint remover on the metal lock plate.
After I had the paint off of the trim, I was ready to paint the panels of the door with magnetic primer.
Once the magnetic primer had dried, I painted the panels with chalkboard paint.
At first, I had plans to stain the wood but changed my mind once I saw it all sanded down. Instead, I applied a coat of Tung Oil to bring out the natural beauty of the wood.
And here is the finished product, a chalkboard entryway thing-a-ma-gig. I bought some dresser knobs to hang things from and some old pop tabs for magnets.
Thanks for looking. I hope you enjoyed it. I have another door and I’m ready to start that project too. Stay tuned!